It is said we are fiercely independent – and they’re right. In a time of rampant consolidation in hospital circles, your hospital chooses to remain independent because we believe that is best for you and for the region.
Like schools, a hospital should be a focal point for a community or region’s identity. We are a huge regional asset and our relationship with the communities we serve is important. Trust us, nobody is going to care more about our local residents than the people who live and work local. We do believe that in some cases it makes sense to partner with another organization that can complement us while respecting our independence.
Memorial has focused on smart business decisions while never losing sight of the reason we are here in the first place: to keep you healthy and take care of you when you are not.
Our vital signs.
For those who want just the facts, here’s a quick overview of Memorial Hospital—who we are, who we serve, and other vital statistics you should know.
Founded March 1952.
A not-for-profit community hospital serving Union and five surrounding counties—primary service area of 84,000 individuals.
- Union County population: 58,988 (July 2019 Census estimate)
- Marysville City population: 24,667 (July 2019 Census estimate)
Inpatient distribution by county for 2020
- 57.0% from Union
- 15.4% from Logan
- 9.4% from Champaign
- 5.1% from Madison
- 3.0% from Hardin
- 2.5% from Marion
- 1.6% from Franklin
- 1.2% from Delaware
- 4.8% from all other counties
97- bed acute and primary care facility with over 30 additional service lines.
Also have operational authority over Memorial Gables, a 112-bed long-term care facility offering long- and short-term rehabilitation, skilled, intermediate, and dementia care.
Other hospital statistics include:
- A medical staff of more than 254 providers.
- Over 289 adult and teen volunteers.
- Governed by an eight-member Board of Trustees.
- Gross patient service revenue of $287 million in 2019.
- Employees: Over 742 at Memorial Hospital, 118 at Memorial Gables, and 120 at Memorial Medical Group.
- ER visits: 15,241
- Babies delivered: 558
- Lab procedures: 334,336
- Home Health Care visits: 10,740
- Occupational Health visits: 4,059
- Radiology procedures: 43,884
- Physical and Occupational Therapy visits: 36,974
- Speech and Language Therapy visits: 2,616
- Specialty Care Clinic patients seen: 23,262 (includes Pain Management, Oncology & Hematology, and Wound Care)
- Sleep Lab studies performed: 386
- Urgent Care visits: 23,208
- Food and Nutrition meals served:327,589
- Volunteer Hours provided: 20,492
2019 expenses as percent of total operating expenses:
- 34% Salaries and wages
- 11% Supplies
- 21% Employee benefits and taxes
- 13% Purchased Services
- 5% Insurance, utilities, depreciation
- 5% Professional services
- 11% Other
In 1945, influential members of the Marysville area community recognized the need to build a hospital to provide healthcare for community members, including those returning from World War II. They gained funding through the Hill-Burton Act, but it wasn’t enough to cover the cost of building a new hospital. That’s when the farmers, merchants, laborers, and business owners stepped forward and gave whatever they could – raising more than $300,000. Memorial Hospital of Union County opened on March 17, 1952, with 40 beds and a staff eager to care for the people who made it all possible.
Since then, as Union County and the surrounding areas grew to over 84,000 residents, we’ve grown right alongside. In Fall of 2014, we started a new and major chapter in our history with our restructuring into Memorial Health, an independent health system which includes:
- Memorial Hospital’s main campus – a 97-bed primary and emergency care center, with more than 30 additional service lines
- Memorial City Gate Medical Center – an outpatient facility housing our Urgent Care, Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine, Orthopedics and Sports Medicine medical practice, Imaging, and Laboratory testing
- Memorial Hospital Outpatient Surgery Center – located near Memorial Hospital, where six types of specialties perform surgical procedures.
- Memorial Gables – a skilled nursing facility providing short-term, long-term, and care for those with dementia
- Memorial Medical Group – a network of more than 42 physicians and mid-level providers
- Memorial Health Foundation
Compared to other hospitals, some may consider us a hometown hospital—but we have a big commitment to our regional community in the role we play, the concern we express for our friends and neighbors, and the services we provide to back up that concern.
Memorial Hospital and Memorial Health have received many recent awards and accolades for the high quality of care we provide. We are now located in Marysville, Richwood, Plain City, and Urbana. And we continue to grow to meet the growing needs of our region.
A heart for service and a standard of excellence.
From our Board of Trustees to our senior management team and our physicians, the leaders of Memorial Hospital have been involved in healthcare for years. Your hospital team in total is dedicated to you, our patients. We all bring a level of excellence and expertise to our hospital that shines through to the community we serve.
Our community beyond the walls of Memorial Hospital is important to us. Look for our team members involved with these local organizations and events:
- Avalon Theater
- Care Train
- Champaign County Health Improvement Plan Leadership Committee
- Champaign County Library
- Champaign County Safety Council
- Community Improvement Corporation
- Council of Union County Families
- Daily Needs Assistance (DNA) Plain City
- Fairbanks Key Communicators
- Fairbanks Athletic Boosters
- Franklin University Health Sciences Advisory Board
- Habitat for Humanity of Delaware & Union Counties
- Hope Center
- Let Me Run
- Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Loving Care Hospice
- Lower Lights
- Marysville Public Library
- Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
- North Union Schools Business Advisory Council
- Relay For Life of Union & Madison Counties
- Richwood Area Business Association
- Rotary Club of Union County
- UCO Industries
- Union County Ag Association
- Union County American Red Cross
- Union County Business Education Workforce Team
- Union County Chamber of Commerce
- Union County Falls Coalition
- Union County Family YMCA
- Union County Farmers Market
- Union County Foundation
- Union County Guardianship Services
- Union County Humane Society
- Union County Integrated Healthcare Planning Coalition
- Union County Livestock Committee
- Union County Mental Health & Recovery
- Union County Neighbor-to-Neighbor
- Union County Wellness Consortium
- Union County Young Professionals
- United Way of Union County