The experts to help you find relief from your joint pain.
We understand. It can hurt to move. And your quality of life can suffer. It can be difficult to do the smallest tasks when you suffer from persistent joint pain and a limited range of motion. Our goal is to help you get back to the life you want to live – pain free! We will help you explore all options, from conservative treatment approaches like medication or physical therapy, to more comprehensive options – like joint replacement surgery.
Joint replacement, also called arthroplasty, is a procedure that involves removing part or the entire damaged joint and replacing it with artificial implants. Our specialties at Memorial include partial knee and total knee replacement, partial hip and total hip replacement, and shoulder replacement. Joint replacement surgery can improve mobility and provide significant pain relief.
Memorial’s joint replacement program is led by two expert orthopedic surgeons. Forrest Schwartz, MD, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program and is fellowship-trained in knee and hip replacements as well as revision surgeries. His arthroplasty specialties include partial knee and total knee replacements in addition to partial hip and total hip replacements.
Rounding out the surgical team with a specialization in shoulder replacements is Timothy Lynch, DO, FAOAO. Dr. Lynch is board-certified in orthopedics and fellowship-trained in sports medicine. His special interest is in the care of the athlete, and surgical treatment that utilizes minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques. Dr. Lynch works closely with Memorial Sports Medicine to evaluate and treat area high school athletes.
Together, our team of expert orthopedic surgeons, along with our specialty trained nurses and physical therapists, are here to support your recovery journey. We offer:
Comprehensive joint replacement program
- Let us help you recover and heal! Appointments can be scheduled within 48 hours. Request an appointment for evaluation or a second opinion.
- We offer modern surgical techniques, like robotic-assisted joint replacements and anterior approach hip replacements for better patient results.
- Anterior hip replacements – higher patient satisfaction and a rapid return to activity.
- Tourniquet-free knee replacements – less post-operative pain, faster recovery, and increased range of motion.
- Robotic-assisted surgical procedures – our state-of-the-art robotic surgical assistant (known as ROSA) aids our specially trained surgeon during joint replacement surgeries – the surgeon is always in complete control of the robot and equipment.
- Past surgeries were based on thousands of averages of patient data. However, utilizing a robot allows the surgeon to have 3D bone modeling by patient – resulting in a more precise match of the shape and size of implants. This information, combined with the surgeon’s skill, helps him know how to position your implant based on your unique anatomy.
- Knee replacements – currently available
- Hip replacements – available summer 2022
- Shoulder replacements – available 2023
Ready for surgery? Our team strives to help you prepare for every step!
- Our approach to healing begins with a pre-surgical exercise program. A vital step in ensuring your recovery is quick and comfortable is to incorporate these exercises into your routine, before and after surgery. Learn more.
- Memorial offers resources to help in the areas of weight loss/management, smoking cessation, and blood glucose management. These risk factors are critical to improve the outcomes of joint replacement surgery. If your surgeon has encouraged you to improve in one of these key areas, Memorial has services that can help. Learn about our services.
Same day discharge
Our surgical techniques allow many patients to go home the same day of their surgery! Patients must meet certain health requirements and have support at home after surgery.
Personalized treatment plans
Our joint replacement team applies the latest research and technology, like robotic-assisted surgery and rapid recovery techniques, along with your personal outcome goals, to develop a personalized treatment plan for you. Together, we will team with our specially trained physical therapists and expert nurses to get you back on your feet the day of surgery and continue with home care and other support. MEET OUR PHYSICAL THERAPY & SPORTS MEDICINE TEAM!
Proven increased quality of life
Our joint replacement program is fueled by the changes in our patients’ lives. Hear directly from them!
Dr. Schwartz and team, I am beyond words of appreciation to you and the medical staff at Memorial Hospital. One week ago, I had a joint replacement – my right hip. You utilized the “anterior” approach (front) vs “lateral” (side). This recovery period has been outstanding with virtually minimal pain. Just know, I am dancing circles in my living room as I write this – I would highly recommend Memorial for any joint replacement surgery! — Pat Newman, Marysville
You replaced my right hip joint using the anterior approach. Well, I am happy to report that my surgery was 11:30 a.m. and I was on my way home at 5:00 p.m. Pain and swelling subsided within a week. I had my left hip joint replaced in 2012 using the posterior approach and I can attest that my current recovery is WAY faster than the previous one, despite me being 9 years older! I wholeheartedly recommend you and your team to anyone considering this medical option. –Bob Kroshefsky, Marysville
If you are dealing with persistent pain, then joint replacement surgery can help to restore your overall quality of life and get you back to doing the things you enjoy, pain free. Learn more about our complete orthopedic services by calling the Memorial Orthopedic & Sports Medicine team at (937) 578-4200.